Pages

Search

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

6 Ways to Not Lose Your Sanity while Being Single

I guess I am a novice at being single so I wanted to share with you my top 10 ways to not go insane while being single.  I hope that those of  you who are single that read this blog find some useful tips to enjoy your relationship challenged status....

  1. Take yourself out on a date.  I often use some of my free time on the weekend to take myself out on a date.  Now in order to do this you have to be very comfortable with being out alone with no friends or family.  A date for me could be pampering myself with a mani/pedi and shopping for a nice outfit for work or going out to eat dinner and checking out a movie.  It is important to take yourself out because you start to establish the things and/or events that you truly value.
  2. Catch a marathon on TV.  One of my all time favorite murder mystery series on TV is Criminal Minds and often I can find a all day marathon on one of my cable channels that keeps me entertained for a while.  I may fix myself some popcorn and plop right on the couch for the day.
  3. Workout.  Recently I joined a runners group in my area called Black Girls Run.  By joining this group I am able to socialize with women who like to run once a week and it takes my mind off of being single.  This group also encourages me to workout and complete several goals that I have mentally to run a 5k.
  4. Higher Education.  Going back to school to start and/or complete your degree work is a great way to keep your sanity while being single.  Because you are single you can focus on classwork and have that extra free time to focus on being a successful student. 
  5. Take a mini weekend get-a-way.  On many occasions in the last few years I have been able to take mini vacations and travel to places that I have never been before within the U.S.  While this can get costly, you can plan a few trips out and budget for the next year.  In the last year I was able to visit Chicago, Charlotte, Las Vegas, and Palm Springs.  By using payment plans I was able to have my trips paid for well in advance and just worry about spending money.
  6. Volunteer at your child's school.  As a single parent it is also important to stay involved in your child's activities at school.  Not only has volunteering allowed me to do this but it also keeps my mind occupied from thinking about being single.  Children who are active in school will keep you very busy.  I have children that are in the band, cheer, and play basketball so a lot of my free time is spent being a taxi or helping out with other parents.
These are just a few ways that I keep myself sane while embracing this single life journey.  Please share in the comments sections other ways to keep yourself sane and busy while being single.

Peace and Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment